Pesticides and herbicides can be a threat to creeks if allowed into the storm drainage system.
- Pesticides kill aquatic insects that are important to creek ecosystems.
- Herbicides harm beneficial plant life that form the base of the aquatic food web.
What can I do?
Use organic gardening and landscaping techniques
IF YOU MUST USE CHEMICALS
- strictly follow label directions
- use as little as possible
- only apply chemicals when no rain is predicted within the next two days
- avoid applying chemicals near a storm drain and/or pavement
What UC Berkeley is doing?
The university does regular staff training around the use of pesticides and herbicides, minimizes the use of chemicals when possible, and has banned the use of the most harmful chemicals.